Friday, October 21, 2011

Let the Stimulation Begin!

Work went well last night! Headache seems to have cleared! I have to start with a little rant, then I'll get back on track...I got to work last night and withing 5 minutes of sitting and waiting for report, a co-worker shoved sonogram photos in my face. I wanted to rip them out of her hands and throw them in the recycling bin (I may have been angry but I was still feeling conscious about saving the planet and chose recycling instead of garbage). Also, another co-worker, who was arriving late because of her ultrasound to find out the sex of her baby, came in pouting because she was having a girl instead of the boy she longed for. I wanted to drop kick her in the head, but instead I wandered out of the department in order to do something. Anything, to get out of there for my own sanity. The nerve of this chick complaining about the sex of her baby when she got pregnant on the 2nd month of trying and she informed everyone she was pregnant when she was 7 weeks along and this is alllllllllll she talks about. These are the things that make this entire process so damn difficult. I'm not at all a jealous person, or I wasn't, until this. I've always felt very blessed with what we have and I'm quite happy with our lives. But now, it's so damn difficult to be around pregnant people, and they are freaking EVERYWHERE! They have the one thing I want so badly. I feel guilty that other people's happiest moments inevitably upset me. However, it's just how I feel. Good, bad or otherwise, I simply can't help it. I know all you ladies out there who are in my situation feel the same way.
Now that I got that out of the way, here we are. We're at the stimulation day. All the stimulating drugs are in the arsenal and ready to take over control of my ovaries. I have a few worries about this phase, but I am just hoping and praying it goes smoothly and brings us the results we've been trying to get to for 3.5 years. Sometimes I still can't believe we're actually doing this. I never anticipated we'd have to undergo such difficulty in trying to start a family. Like it or not this is our reality.
For those of you who are not sure what this means, besides me becoming a hormonal nut case in the next week, it also means I'll be receiving gonadotropins-hormones that will stimulate my ovaries to produce multiple eggs. This phase will be about 8-12 days and will include ultrasounds to track the number and size of the ovarian follicles as well as Estrodiol levels.
I will be taking:

* 225 units of Follistim (injection)

* 75 units of HMG (injection)

* 5 units of Lupron (injection)

* 5mg of Letrozole (tablet)

* 1 mg Dexamethasone (tablet)

* Metanex tablets twice a day

Collin will be taking antibiotics for a week. Woohoo! He get's to join in the party and take some drugs with me! Is it just me or is that a lot of drugs to be taking?!
I'll be heading in on Wednesday for my first monitoring visit where I'll get to do my favorite stirrup-ed ultrasound to check out how these eggs are growing. We've had success with this portion of the process before, so I have high expectations for my ovaries this time around. Don't let me down!! Although this part before only included HMG; adding in all these other drugs makes it a whole new ball game! Let's hope I can keep it together for my wonderful husband. We've been married 5 years and it still makes me giddy to use the word 'husband.' I am completely enamored by this man! I hope, despite my impending hormornal surge, I can keep it together for him.
Let the fun begin!!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Good luck! I am starting the shots right now too and also have my first monitor u/s on Wednesday.