Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gender Reveal!!


It is with much exuberance and an endless supply of bliss that I am able to announce we're having a baby BOY and GIRL!!! Most importantly, both babies had perfect anatomy scans yesterday. Their brains, kidneys, bladders, diaphragms, hearts, spines, bones etc. are growing perfectly. I couldn't be happier at this moment!!

Here's the details of yesterday's scan:

We went in for the scan and all the organs and measurements were completed on the first baby. Then out of nowhere, the tech announced 'It's a girl!' I wasn't ready for that one!! My pulse immediately picked up. I wanted a little girl and I got my girl! Both of us were elated. A baby girl!! I looked over at Collin and he had a nervous look on his face as she moved on to scan the other baby. I immediately knew what he was thinking...two girls?! Of all the scenarios (boy/boy, girl/girl and boy/girl), the girl/girl option was our least preferred. I desperately wanted a boy for my sports fanatic husband.

On she went to scan the next baby's organs and take measurements. I was prepared for the order of things this time and knew when she was looking for the genitals. I thought I caught a glimpse of something sticking out. Could it be? Yes! She announced, 'It's a boy!' Yes!! A perfect boy!! A boy for my husband. He never asked for it, but I wanted a boy for him. My eyes teared up at the realization of how blessed we truly are.

I'm pregnant with a boy and a girl! I could not begin to express the joy we experienced yesterday. I prayed we'd get pregnant on our FET. We did. I prayed it would be twins. They are. I hoped and prayed for a baby boy and girl. They are!! Maybe this is the perk of having to wait so long to get pregnant...we're getting everything we could ever want. I'll keep hoping and praying for health and a 37 week delivery for our precious boy and girl.

We went over the details of the scan with the OB (I really like her!!) and got to bask in the overflow of great news that was bestowed upon us. Great news, when it comes to fertility, is still a foreign experience for me... I inquired about my cervix (I've read too many horrible stories about an incompetent cervix). The ultrasound tech did not measure it, so I had to head back in for another ultrasound. Hello vaginal ultrasound!! We meet again!! My cervix was measuring at 4.4 cm (4-5 cm is ideal). Whew! The only negative is my weight. The OB said she rarely tells patients this, but I need to pack on some pounds. I'm only up 8 pounds. I've been reading a lot of literature regarding being pregnant with twins and I feared this. I'm eating a lot...as much as I can. I'm going to try to eat snacks even if I'm not hungry. I also picked up some ensure to help take in some extra calories. The OB told me to start drinking shakes; I had one yesterday! How strange it was to be told to put on weight...but I know it's what is best for the babies so I'm going to do it. Any tips on how to fit in all these calories would be appreciated! I get full very fast and I've been striving to eat a healthy diet and would prefer to not switch to junk food.

I immediately went shopping after the appointment and picked up several outfits. This was our first purchase for the babies!!! I also made the 'it's a girl/boy' signs we used on the outfits. I think I smiled the whole time I put them together. We used FaceTime and Skype to tell our families the genders (all the fam lives out of state). We chatted a few minutes and then C held up the girl's outfit and a minute later I held up the boy's outfit. It was amazing to see our families reactions. Absolutely perfect. The night was filled with smiles, laughter and complete and utter merriment. I finally posted the pic above and an update on Facebook and people went wild! Yesterday was impeccable. For a day our lives were complete perfection. We have waited years for yesterday. To experience yesterday's blessings, I'd go through all the hell again. To be able to see the elation on my husband's beautiful face I wouldn't think twice about facing the IF battle again. It was worth every single tear we've cried, every pain our hearts have felt and every let down we've experienced. We've had an arduous journey, but none of the pain compares to the sweet happiness we held in our hearts yesterday.

I hope and pray for the positive news to continue. Now I must go get a snack...

9 comments:

Charlotte said...

ZOMG that's fantastic! Congratulations on your excellent news!

Janet Off Kilter said...

Amazing news!! I am so happy for you both!

Mrs. F said...

Yay! I couldn't be more happy for you! My brother and sister-in-law have boy/girl twins and they are so much fun to watch grow up.

MEL said...

This is just wonderful news!!! The best of both worlds. Congrats!!!

Mrs. T said...

Fantastic news!!!!

Lilly said...

that is INCREDIBLE!!!! I keep hoping, one day, that will be us. I want twins. One girl, and like you, a boy for my sports fanatic husband! :D

CONGRATS!!

Jules said...

Oh God, here come the waterworks! I cried through just about all of this post! How amazing, one of each gender! That is what I'm hoping for. And to hear their anatomies are perfect is such a relief! Bask in the glow of this, girl, because you've earned it!!!

Jules said...

Also, love finally seeing a close up of your faces (you guys are so cute!) And get yourself some jars of nut butters. Almond, cashew, peanut, etc. Good protein/fats and high in calories! I also recommend some really yummy triple cream brie cheeses (pasteurized is safe) and crackers. I haven't been able to eat much with this awful heartburn so I'm trying to pack it on with high calorie foods like those.

MaryMargaret said...

Congratulations on two perfect, healthy babies. I'm partial, of course, but I think that a boy/girl combo is perfect!